SUGAR: THE BITTER TRUTH
In my quest to figure out the whole sugar issue to some sort of satisfaction on my part. I have come to find that the main problem with sugar is the fructose content.
The key thing to realize is that the liver is the only organ that can metabolize fructose in significant amounts.
When people eat a diet that is high in calories and high in fructose, the liver gets overloaded and starts turning the fructose into fat.
The Harmful Effects of Excess Sugar
Eating a lot of fructose in the form of added sugars:
- Makes your liver synthesize fats, which are exported as VLDL cholesterol, which leads to dyslipidemia (blood tryglicerides and cholesterol), fat around the organs and ultimately, heart disease
- Increases blood levels of uric acid, leading to gout and elevated blood pressure
- Causes deposition of fat in the liver, potentially leading to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Causes insulin resistance, which ultimately leads to obesity and type II diabetes
- Insulin resistance leads to elevated insulin and insulin like growth factor (IGF-1) in the entire body, which may ultimately cause cancer
- Fructose doesn’t affect satiety in the same way as glucose. Therefore, you will eat more total calories automatically.
- Excess fructose consumption may cause leptin resistance. This is throwing your body fat regulation out of whack causing weight gain
- Sugar is a downright addictive substance
See the whole article here:
How Can We Eliminate Sugar?
With all this in mind, you begin to think twice about your sugar consumption. What is the normal average person supposed to do? We know we are addicted to sugar but we don’t want to give it up.
The first thing you need to do is research further and come to the understanding that sugar is actually bad for you. If you don’t have that belief you will just continue on with your sugar love affair. There is so much more wrong with sugar than just the previously talked about items. Sugar also feeds the bad bacteria in our gut, therefore our whole system gets out of whack. If we are going to get sick, it will go start in the gut first. The acne, headaches, autoimmune diseases, constipation, and all sicknesses all begin in the gut.
There are a few things you can do. First, switch to honey or stevia or monk fruit. Second, slowly stop eating as much sugary sweets and replace them with whole fruits or baked goods made with the alternative sweetener. Third, stop drinking sweet drinks, especially soda, but also fruit juices, lattes at Starbucks, energy drinks and the likes. Because so much of our sugar intake is in the form of drinks that we can make a big step towards health by simply eliminating these things.
Your body will thank you for giving up as much fructose as you can…the more the better.